Science on Wheels — Outreach Workshops
Workshop programs are a true hands-on educational experience. For public groups, the capacity is 24 participants with a minimum age of 7.
Builder Workshop: The Great Coaster Challenge!
Participants in this hands-on program will act as Theme Park Engineers to design and build a prototype roller coaster for our theme park. Engineers will work in groups of 2-4 to plan and build their coaster. They will need to manage materials and resources, as well as time to build a functioning roller coaster. At the end of the activity, we will give each group of engineers the chance to demonstrate their creation, and we will evaluate the success of each coaster.
Maximum Capacity: 24 participants – for groups containing families, parents may assist children without counting toward the capacity
Recommended Audience: anyone age 7 and up (grade 2 – adult)
Duration: 60 minutes per session
- A classroom sized or larger space
- A six foot or equivalent table to set up materials
- Tables or desks to allow workspace for all participants (optional)
- Room for a projection screen and projector (we will provide if needed)
- A staff person from the booking site must be present for the entire program to assist if needed
- A large trash barrel or several smaller ones
- Educator will arrive approximately one hour prior to the scheduled start time to unload, check in and set up
- Calculate the drive time from Roper Mountain Science Center to your site, then add that amount of time to 8:00 to determine your earliest assembly start time (If it is a one hour drive from Roper Mountain to your site, add one hour to 8 a.m. and the earliest start time is 9 a.m.)
- For multiple sessions, allow at least 15 minutes in between sessions to reset the equipment
- If the schedule overlaps a meal time, please allow a longer break of at least 30 minutes for the instructor to eat. A meal break is required for a 4 session schedule.
Payment is due within 30 days after the date of the program. An invoice will be e-mailed to the booker when the reservation is made. Educators CANNOT take payment. Please mail your payment to Roper Mountain. Credit card payments can be made in person at Roper Mountain Science Center (please call ahead to schedule a payment time), but we cannot take credit card information by phone or email.
We will travel to locations up to a 2.5 hour drive from Roper Mountain for a single day visit. Sites farther than 2.5 hours (up to 5 hours) may book an overnight trip with an added flat fee of $200 per night to cover hotel and meals for our instructor. There is a travel fee for locations outside of Greenville County of $0.95 per mile. We use Google Maps to calculate drive times and distances.
* No travel fee in Greenville County. For other counties, a travel fee of $0.95 per mile applies
ReservationsScience on Wheels – Builder Workshop Registration form
Contact the Outreach Specialist, Jennifer Romatelli.
RMSC can’t take credit card payments over the phone.