Science on Wheels — Outreach Workshops
COVID10 adjustments: Workshop programs are available for groups of participants who are together on a daily basis. They are not currently available for combinations of groups who do not see each other regularly.
Workshop programs are a true hands-on educational experience available to both school and public groups. For public groups, the capacity is 24 participants with a minimum age of 7. For school groups the capacity is one class, and the class teacher must be available to assist while students are building.
Builder Workshop: The Great Coaster Challenge!
Participants in this hands-on program will act as Theme Park Engineers to design and build a prototype roller coaster for our theme park. Engineers will work in groups of 2-4 to plan and build their coaster. They will need to manage materials and resources, as well as time to build a functioning roller coaster. At the end of the activity, we will give each group of engineers the chance to demonstrate their creation, and we will evaluate the success of each coaster.
South Carolina School Standards Connections: This workshop is based on the Engineering Practices Stanard for all Elementary and Middle school grades.
Maximum Capacity: 24 participants for public groups, one class for school groups (not counting adult helpers)
Recommended Audience: anyone age 7 and up (grade 2 – adult)
Duration: 60 minutes per session
- A classroom sized or larger space
- A six foot or equivalent table to set up materials
- Tables or desks to allow workspace for all participants (optional)
- Room for a projection screen and projector (we will provide if needed)
- Educator will arrive approximately one hour prior to the scheduled start time to unload, check in and set up
- Calculate the drive time from Roper Mountain Science Center to your site, then add that amount of time to 8:00 to determine your earliest assembly start time (If it is a one hour drive from Roper Mountain to your site, add one hour to 8 a.m. and the earliest start time is 9 a.m.)
- For multiple sessions, allow at least 15 minutes in between sessions to reset the equipment
- If the schedule overlaps a meal time, please allow a longer break of at least 30 minutes for the instructor to eat. A meal break is required for a 4 session schedule.
Payment is due within 30 days after the date of the program. An invoice will be e-mailed to the booker when the reservation is made. Educators CANNOT take payment. Please mail your payment to Roper Mountain. Credit card payments can be made in person at Roper Mountain Science Center (please call ahead to schedule a payment time), but we cannot take credit card information by phone or email.
We will travel to locations up to a 2.5 hour drive from Roper Mountain for a single day visit. Sites farther than 2.5 hours (up to 5 hours) may book an overnight trip with an added flat fee of $150 per night to cover hotel and meals for our instructor. There is a mileage fee for locations outside of Greenville County of 85 cents per mile. We use Google Maps to calculate drive times and distances.
* No mileage fee in Greenville County. For other counties, a mileage fee of $0.85 per mile applies
ReservationsScience on Wheels – Builder Workshop Registration form
Contact the Outreach Specialist, Jennifer Romatelli.
RMSC can’t take credit card payments over the phone.
Roper Mountain has received a generous grant from Lockheed Martin to fund Science on Wheels programming for schools and community organizations in Greenville County and surrounding counties that serve low-income communities. Schools in Greenville, Pickens, Anderson, Spartanburg and Lauren’s counties serving communities at 60% or higher poverty level and Greenville County community centers are pre-qualified to receive these scholarships within reasonable limits. Prequalified groups just need to mention that they would like to use the grant money to cover their reservation at the time that they make the reservation request. Community organizations such as libraries, after school programs, summer camps, and day cares who believe they should qualify, may apply for the funding. Contact the Outreach Specialist, Jennifer Romatelli email@example.com, for details.